Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Pan-dome-dio: "Under the Dome" by Stephen King

 UNDER THE DOME by Stephen King. I'm not looking up the other stuff. Backdated to correct year.

I ran through my monthly allotment of four titles on Hoopla. Wisconsin Digital Library has a bunch of immediately available titles and I'd not listened or read Kind in a while.

I realized - or remembered - that King is a horror writer but the supernatural and monsters often take a backseat to everyday horror or everyday assholes. King always has real-life dirtbags of:

  • Small town tyrants.
  • Religious nutbags.
  • Narcissists with a revenge streak.
  • Mob action.
  • Imbeciles who love to follow orders.
  • Plucky young teens.
  • These guys are a trope of sorts because King always uses them. But, he always writes complex and believable characters. Well... I believe them at least. 
  • Plenty of mysogeny.

Comments:
1. Gun Nerd Errors: A "Beretta Taurus". One cop carrying a Smith and Wesson Schofield? (Speaking of which, I often enter online gun giveaways and, of course, never win. As I write this I just entered a giveaway for a reproduction Schofield with an MSRP of $1,187. Zoinks! 
2. Town in rural Maine and characters cannot find guns?




No comments: