Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stopped Listening to: "The March" by E.L. Doctorow

Stopped Listening to: The March by E.L. Doctorow, downloaded from Overdrive.

A pretty good book but the audio files were somehow corrupted and I cannot get them to work. I will either download them again (unlikely) or just read the book (more likely). Sherman marches across Georgia into the Carolinas through the eyes of Sherman and both Southern and Union soldiers and civilians.

Above average narration by The Brother From Another Planet. The Brother brought out a lot of humor I bet I would have missed by reading the book. There are several characters though and I have difficulty learning who is who during an audio book. Their names do not stick in my head like they do when I read them.

A couple neat things. Doctorow let me realize, for the first real time, how frightening and dangerous it is to be a war refugee. No income, no home, and no food without the welfare of relatives, friends and strangers. The government is in turmoil or dissolved and you risk death by either uniformed side. I forgot the other thing.

Sherman's total war really was nasty. One of his generals, do not recall the name, really was a scumbag.

No comments: