Sunday, December 31, 2017

Comic Novel: "Britten and Brulightly" by Hannah Berry

Comic Novel: Britten and Brulightly by Hannah Berry, 2009, 9780805089271.

Mystery set in - I think - London in the 1930s. I really enjoyed the artwork. Main character Britten is a private detective who only takes on murder cases. He has worn out on following married people to catch them cheating.

Berry's draws Britten with a white face and dark brown shadows around this eyes. As if he is a mutilated war veteran wearing a porcelain face mask. Britten's partner, Brulightly, does not get much ink at all. That is because Brulightly is a tea bag. Brulightly only talks to Britten, of course, and Brulightly as on the racy side.

Anyhoo. A young lady comes into Britten's office saying her fiancee would never have committed suicide. "He was happy, We were engaged!" Britten warns her that the outcome may not please her and takes on the case.  Young Lady thinks Fiancee may have been helping her wealthy Publisher Father with a blackmail problem. Britten starts digging.

As in any comic book novel the images are as important as the description and dialogue. As mentioned above I really enjoyed the artwork.

I've not much else to say except that in the pursuit of the case Britten recognizes a name from a case he had a couple decades ago.  He digs around and discovers what happened.

Comments:
1. I finished this in 2017 so I am backdating the post.

1 comment:

Yvette said...

I thought I was the only one who had ever read this, Gerald. Glad I was wrong. :) This is actually the only graphic novel I own. I too love the artwork.