Sunday, June 12, 2011

Finished: "The Universe in Miniature in Miniature" by Patrick Somerville

Finished: The Universe in Miniature in Miniature by Patrick Somerville, 2010, 9780982580813.

Pretty decent. Short stories with a magical realism element. At least I think it's magical realism. The stories are roughly connected around a stabbing murder on the streets of Chicago. Very roughly connected, the killing is very minor to most stories.

The title story is first. As I wrote on the library's blog: skip it. The last story, The Machine of Understanding Other People, was the best. Two strangers are told they have inherited the fortune of a long lost uncle. One is an alcoholic attorney in Chicago. The other is a social worker in England.

Comments:
1. I was thinking about this book while mowing the lawn. While thinking I thought of a few things worth saying. I have forgotten those things. That, somehow, seems in keeping with many of the book's stories.

No comments: