Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Comic NonFic: "Murder Book" by Hilary Fitzgerald Campbell

 Comic NonFic: Murder Book: a graphic memoir of a true crime obsession by Hilary Fitzgerald Campbell, 2021, 9781524861162.

Quite good. Campbell was nominated for an Edgar - did not win - and I listened to a couple panels she was on. Her dog wandered all over. I found out she is a cartoonist for THE NEW YORKER and was impressed beyond description.

I did not speak to Campbell. I did chat with a literary agent at the bar who is friendly with Campbell. The agent is also a pal with Mike McCrary and she was ripping him a new one. His chops were thoroughly busted. I subsequently listened to two of McCrary's novels and enjoyed them a lot. 

I chatted with the agent a fair amount. I asked who among the crowd in the bar was a creepy weirdo in real-life. She did not name anyone there. She did have some pithy comments about creepy dudes she worked with when she was in her 20s and working in publishing. 

Anyhoo. I enjoyed this book quite a bit. Campbell's big-time fandom for true crime. Talk about how women are the biggest readers of true crime. Campbell and her mother love true crime. Fascinating recaps of The Zodiac and Ted Bundy and Ann Rule. 

Comments:

1. Two episodes involved Campbell urinating. That was odd.

2. Apparently Campbell travels with her dog a lot. 

3. Campbell is a big fan of Nancy Grace. Grace advocates for victims. [Grace also sounds like a major nut.]






No comments: