Saturday, February 15, 2020

Old Horror: "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley

Audio: Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley, 2008 for the audiobook, downloaded off Wisconsin Digital Library.

An old novel with good legs. The language has not been dated although the language and dialogue are a bit stilted at time.

As I was listening along I got to thinking about how much the film versions created their own stories about Frankenstein and the monster. I also got to thinking about Dave Zelsterman's novel Monster which is told from the monster's point of view and argues that Frankenstein is a dirty liar and dirtbag.

Anyhoo. I think the story stands up and most everything in the story is new to me because they have not been covered in most of the film versions I have seen.

That's all. Give the novel a try if you've not done so. The plot drags a bit compared to modern novels but the story is still a decent time.

No comments: