Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Quit: "The Green Shore" by Natalie Bakopoulos

Quit: The Green Shore by Natalie Bakopoulos, 2012, 9781451633924.

Committee novel.  Military coup in 1967 Greece brings worry to an Athenian family.  Widowed Doctor Mom, Mom's three kids, and Mom's younger brother, a well known leftist poet.

I read to page 94 and nothing happened.  A taxi driver neighbor was arrested and tortured.  The Mom's older daughter is protesting "The Colonels" behind the coup.  The poet is trying to decide if he should reconcile with his estranged wife.  The Mom's son heads to the U.S. for grad school.  Blah blah blah.

"But, were you inclined to dislike this novel because the author teaches at University of Michigan?"

"Of course, Muck Fichigan after all.  But, I gave it a fair shake, 94 pages is enough.  Besides I read Megan Abbott books and according to her bio she attended school there."

"Really?  Were you not also biased against the author because you cannot spell her name?"

"Yeah, kinda, but in my defense she is really good looking and that outweighs names I am unable to pronounce or spell."

"How about the book cover?"

"I liked the colors."

No comments: