Saturday, August 11, 2007

Read: "Angels in America" by Tony Kushner

Read: Angels in America: A gay fantasia on national themes by Tony Kushner, 1995, cannot find the ISBN.

First off: I am not gay. This is two plays, Part One: Millenium Approaches and Part Two: Perestroika. Since this is a play it was difficult for me to read through and get the full gist of things. I can imagine the characters on stage but my imagination certainly pales to the skills of experienced stage actors, directors, and designers.

I liked the first play better. Not sure why, it just seemed to say more. Neither one is not something to watch if you are a fan of Roy Cohn. "Carzy" Ann Coulter would be apoplectic watching this. The republican bashing is extensive.

Here is a good quote though: "What I think AIDS has shown us is the limits of tolerance, that its not enough to be tolerated, because when the shit hits the fan you find out how much tolerance is worth. Nothing. And underneath all the tolerance is intense, passionate hatred,"

Part Two is supposed to have a lot of comedy but I must have missed most of it. There were some good jokes I did catch.

No comments: