Wednesday, July 27, 2016

DNF: "Lucille and the XXX Road" by Jim Oliver

DNF: Lucille and the XXX Road: around the world man and motorcycle by Jim Oliver, 2007, 9780595417247.

Sometimes our Lindsborg, Kansas vacations coincide with a local motorcycle rally. The last rally I went to included a talk by Oliver on his ride across Russia. Oliver had an interesting talk and plenty of photos. I enjoyed the talk and bought his self-pubbed book for the library in 2009. I finally got around to reading the book at Boy Scout camp last week.

I did not enjoy the book and quit after 20 pages or so. This is a self-pubbed book and Oliver needed but editing and guidance on his writing. I also think he should have stuck to the trip itself. Instead he gave us a multi-page autobio for about 15 pages until he got even close to writing about trip planning.

I was hoping for a travel book with more detail and stories similar to what his talk included. I was not willing to keep reading on or skipping ahead.

Comment:
1. It looks like "Thor's Roar Motorcycle Rally" is no longer held. The last date is from 2011.

No comments: