Wednesday, April 5, 2017

DNF: "The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea" by Yukio Mishima.

DNF: The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea by Yukio Mishima, John Nathan translation, 1965, 1993, 9780679750154.

I first learned of Yukio Mishima back when I studied the annual Roger Ebert guides and read his reviews. I watched the film Ebert reviewed, Mishima, but I was probably about 16-17-years-old and not too interested in the flick.

I recently read a couple articles and on Mishima and his work. Mishima's story is fascinating: accomplished novelist and playwrite, actor, and all around super celebrity of 1960s Japan. He was also a nut and tried overthrow the Japanese government and committed ritual suicide after the spectacular failure.

Anyhoo, I figured I'd try out one of Mishima's books and this came recommended by the article. I never got into it because, mainly, I had a stack of other stuff to read. I also was not in the mood for a more reflective and philosophical book. I've had this way too long and will send it back to Mukwonago P.L.

No comments: