Friday, August 28, 2015

Brief: "File Under" by Lemony Snicket

Brief: File Under: 13 suspicious incidents by Lemony Snicket, 2014, 9780316284035

13 short stories about Snicket's time in Stain'd-by-the-Sea. Most stories have Snicket working completely alone and without his Chaperon, S. Theodora Markson. I cannot recall if Snicket capitalizes chaperon. Chaperon seems like a job title, so I do capitalize it. I was also adding an "e" on the end until I did a spell check.

Done Minute Mystery and Encyclopedia Brown style. Snicket narrates the story and you flip to the back pages to read the resolution. Some stories are written as real mysteries where you use the clues to deduce the crime. A couple are just kinda silly.

You read more about Snicket, his pals in town, his acquaintances in town, his stay-away-froms in town, and Ms. Markson. Snicket is often out at night. He mostly walks, he sometimes rides, he meets with clients who are fellow teenagers. Some cases are serious. Some cases are minor. Snicket solves them all.

Comments:
1. I like the kids-on-their-own theme of the Snicket story. I've enjoyed those ever since watching the Our Gang comedies when I was a boy. Children are acting in adult roles but without the everyday chores of bills, laundry, groceries, and feeding the dog.
2. My dog has black hair. She will lay - lie? - upside down on our asphalt drive every day during the summer. If the dog has not been bathed recently your hand will come away black after petting her.

No comments: