Found: An Apple for the Creature: all-new tales of unnatural education edited by Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P. Kelner, 2012, 9780425256800.
I was checking this book in and not paying much attention s I did so. I looked at the back cover and - Wait a Minute! Donald Harstad?! The Donald Harstad? Hot dog.
Collection of supernatural short stories. Each story has an education angle with most stories including a school setting. With plenty of vampire and werewolf stories this is definitely not the kind of stuff I usually read.
I sometimes read arguments and griping by people upset over statements regarding the differences - and perceived differences - of a writer's gender. Well, I can tell you that some of these stories were easily spotted as written by women. I have not run across a guy writer who writes shoes, clothes, hair, and eyes the same as any gal. The way a woman character's lust and love is portrayed was very distinct to me when women were writing.
1. Hartsad's Academy Field Trip, of course. Several Iowa cops are attending an invite only training session in Des Moines. The officers do a field exercise as part of the class. One officer is a detective from Iowa City and is told about a vampire investigation. Police work ensues. Trick reveal ensues.
2. Maberry's was okay.
3. Marjorie M. Liu's Sympathy for the Bones was good. A teen girl is raised by a witch in the woods and plots her freedom by killing the witch.
4. Mike Carey's Iphigenia in Aulis. A young - 10-years-old or so - girl is raised in a strict prison environment where she is always restrained when outside her cell. Turns out she and all her fellow classmates/inmates were born from zombies. Legalities against abortion mean they are kept alive until they are eighteen years old.
5. Faith Hunter's Golden Delicious was more Maberry than Maberry's story. A werewolf cop is teamed with a werewolf-stuck-as-wolf and some killer monkey in a training academy and investigates deadly witches. Guns and goth.
6. VSI by Nancy Holder has two FBI agents assigned to a two-week training class. The find out they are learning about vampires. Surprise reveal ensues. A second surprise reveal was expected but did not happen.
1. I have not done many library videos lately but the Harstad interview is regularly found.