Read: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, 2010, 9780439023511.
I finished this a week or two ago. Good book and much better than the second in the series.
Katniss is recovering in Distrcit 13 after her rescue at the end of book two, Catching Fire. Katniss is a mental mess from her experiences. She is having lots of rebellious troubles adapting to the regimented culture of D13. Katniss ends up agreeing to be "The Mockingjay" to support the ongoing war against the Capitol by being a face of the rebellion. Katniss is torn between Peeta and ThatOtherDude. Katniss trains with the army and goes to battle in the Capitol. Lots of fighting in Capitol. Katniss's younger sister killed in front of Katniss by Capitol hovercraft.
Katniss was promised chance to kill Capitol's President Snow. Katniss kills president of D13 instead after she is convinced that the woman had Katniss's sister and other medics murdered to convince Capitol to capitulate and drive on D13 army.
Katniss goes back to hospital. Blah Blah Blah.
1. Lots of teenaged girly shit.
2. The politics among D13 and the Capitol were well done. Lots of confusion and ambiguity over what motives people really have.
3. War scenes were well done with important characters getting killed.
4. Ruthless actions by Capitol to try and stop rebellion. War as sanctified murder by both sides.
5. Happy ending.
6. Contemporary politics obviously used as starting points and plot. But, I sure don't recall what they were.