Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Finished: "The Nimrod Flipout" by Etgar Keret

Finished: The Nimrod Flipout by Etgar Keret, 2006 (first US edition), 0374222436.

Short stories by an Israeli dude. Most are pretty brief at 4-6 pages. I reserved this after seeing a mention online or in Booklist of Library Journal. When I placed the hold I knew I would not remember it and would think, "Why the hell did I get this?" I was right.

Many stories have a fantastical aspect to them and the stories are usually focused on a single male protagonist. Failed relationships and dogs are common themes. Decent amount of humor and a neat look into Israeli life. Nice amount of humor. I saw an undercurrent of depression in many of the stories.

Good stories, this was well above average. I'll look for more by the guy.

No comments: