Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Just finished: "Shutter Island" by Dennis Lehane

Just Finished: Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane, 2003, 0688163173.

I picked this one out for the Literary Book Discussion at the Library and I'll be damned if I remember why. I needed to choose a title that was readily available and would appeal to me, too.

Shutter was good but odd. I have read one other Lehane book (don't recall the title) and saw the film version of Mystic River and I assume Lehane likes sad endings. Maybe he just like 'realistic' endings.

Shutter Island has U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels traveling by ferry to Shutter Island, off of Boston, to assist in a search for a missing prisoner. Shutter Island is home to a mental hospital/prison for very violent prisoners.

I could go on about the plot but if anyone actually reads this note they may be disappointed by me giving away the ending. The ending was not a great surprise. Lehane writes well but the plot turns preposterous with all the different situations that occur. Some of the novel's events and characters could be hallucinations, seeing as how insanity is involved, but Lehane was stretching my suspension of disbelief too far. In the end I feel like the novel was an exercise for Lehane.

No comments: