Saturday, February 17, 2007

Read: "In the Electric Mist with the Confederate Dead" by James Lee Burke

Read: In the Electric Mist with the Confederate Dead by James Lee Burke, 1993, 038072121X (paper).

I had not read one of Burke's novels in quite awhile. I had burned out on Burke's Dave Robicheaux books a few years ago after reading a string of them in a row. I'll have to try and fit in some more Robicheaux novels. I listened to one from Burke's Texas series before and did not like it so much so I'll skip that stuff.

In short, Robicheaux busts big-time actor for drunk driving, actor tells of old body in swamp, Dave lets him go, finds that body plus a murdered teen whore, gangsters come to town, Dave has hallucinations, and so on. Burke plots a good story like usual but it's his writing skills and characters that make the book.

I actually finished this about a week ago. I had passed over this novel before because of the odd title. I thought it sounded stupid.

No comments: